[Smt-talk] Cabridge Scholars Publishing

Ninov, Dimitar N dn16 at txstate.edu
Thu Dec 12 13:26:18 PST 2013

Dear Colleagues,

A new volume of Cambridge Scholars Publishing came up in October 2013. It is entitled "Histories and Narratives
of Music Analysis", edited by Miloš Zatkalik, Milena Medić, and Denis Collins. Some 700 pages of interesting reflections, devised in five parts, 28 chapters. I was privileged to see my entire article on the Craft of Harmonization placed between  pp552-580 (in Part IV: From Speculative to Practical: Narratives of Pitch,
Scale and Harmonization through History). This volume is expensive and they do not give it away even to contributors. Now I have to beg them for a discount.

If any of you lays hands on it sometime ahead, I would welcome your opinions on the overall collection and specifically on my article. It introduces some methods of harmonizing a melody and then leads the reader through a good number of harmonizations in simple forms, using diatonic harmony, chromatic harmony, modulation, ellipsis, etc. This article is also an appeal for a large scale discourse on the dying craft of harmonization in our undergraduate and graduate schools.

Thank you for your attention. Best regards,

Dimitar

Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
School of Music
Texas State University