[Smt-talk] Meaning of Diatonic

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Tue Dec 3 08:02:17 PST 2013

Dimitar,

Otto Gombosi wrote in his 1939 thesis:

    Nirgends im ganzen antiken Schriftum ist jemals von "phrygischen"
    oder "lydischen" Tetrachorden die Rede; es gibt eben nur eine Art
    von Tetrachord, die "dorische", die aber auch niemals so benannt
    wurde. Folglich ist auch niemals davon die Rede, daß die
    Oktavgattungen aus zwei Tetrachorden zusammengesetzt sind.
    (/Tonarten und Stimmungen.../, p. 14)

    Nowhere in the whole Antique literature is there ever question of
    "Phrygian" or "Lydian" tetrachords; there is only one form of
    tetrachord, the "Dorian" one, which however is never so named. As a
    result, there is also nowhere question that the octave genres were
    formed of two tetrachords.

'Tonos', in Greek, had several meanings, including 'pitch' and
'interval' (the word generally refers to 'tension', say the tension in a
string or that between two notes). The Greek, however, also had the term
'hemitonos', 'semitone' (i.e. 'half a tone', obviously), which leaves
little doubt about one meaning of 'tonos', 'tone' (major second) in our
modern sense. 'Diatonic' refers to the mobile degrees between the outer
limits of the tetrachord being a tone apart ('dia tonoi', 'through tones').

Your definition of diatonic as denoting a distance between two notes
with different names is a correct _modern_ description (it corresponds
to Gevaert's definition of 1906 that I quoted earlier). In the case of
Ancient Greek tetrachords, were they diatonic, chromatic or enharmonic,
the four degrees certainly had four different names: your definition
cannot apply.

Medieval theory also knew only one form of the tetrachord,
re--mi--fa--sol, and the various modes differed from each other in that
they placed their final on another degree of the tetrachord: on re for
the re modes, on mi for the mi modes, etc. (One tetrachord was the
notorious "tetrachord of the finals", already in Hucbald, who may have
been the earliest Western theorist to speak of finals.) Because modes
could be either authentic or plagal, there were 8 modes in all. It is as
simple as that.

The idea that octave genres, or scalar modes, are each formed of two
tetrachords (be they Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian for the Greek modes, or
Major, Harmonic, or whatever for modern scales) is a 19th-century
mistake, that has been proved false in the case of Ancient and Medieval
music and that it may be time we abandon for more recent music as well.
It has proved extremely harmful in the case of Arabic music, when
Western scholars went to the Cairo Congress of 1932 and 'reformed'
Arabic theory which, they thought, should somehow duplicate their
mistaken ideas about Ancient music.

Nicolas Meeùs
University Paris-Sorbonne