[Smt-talk] warm thanks for quick query

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Thu Feb 14 12:56:28 PST 2013

It seems to me that the question remains open, though. Burmeister did
describe his project as "analysis", but was it what we would call analysis?

Analysis, for Burmeister, is the "resolution of the work in affects and
periods" (/Resolutio carminis in affectiones, sive periodos/), that is
its organization as a rhetorical discourse. The first affect/period, he
says, is the /Exordium/, calling the attention of the hearer. Then comes
a variety of affects forming the body of the work, which should remain
of moderate dimensions lest it causes disgust. And the work ends with
the /Finis/, by which the imminence of the end enters more clearly the
minds of the hearers. This is a normative description: Burmeister's aim
is of providing a model for young composers.

The analysis of Lasso's /In me transierunt /consists in two paragraphs
only, without any explicit reference to the music. The first paragraph
is concerned with the mode and the ambitus of the individual voices: the
piece is in authentic phrygian mode, in diatonic genre. The work is then
described as consisting in nine periods, the first of which is the
/Exordium/, the last the /Finis/, and the seven in between the /Corpus
harmoniae/. No attempt is made to identify these in the score (they
might correspond to the phrases of the text, so far as I can remember; I
don't have Lasso's score at hand just now). Each of these seven periods
is said to include a few specified figures (specified by their names:
hypotyposis, climax, anadiplosis, anaphora, mimesis, pathopoeia, fuga,
noëma), but it remains extremely difficult to actually identify any of
these in the score, and Burmeister provides no indication to this effect.

Is that an analysis in any modern (or less modern) sense of the word? I
really doubt so. Certainly, Burmeister's concern with the rhetorical
organization of a musical composition is a landmark in the history of
music theory and analysis; but was his an "analysis"?

*******

Most of you will be too young to remember the definitive statement (in
his inimitable German accent) of Prof. Bruno Heinz Jaja, interviewed in
London by Richard Hoffnung: "Muzik began venn Jönberg invented the
tonerove".
Let me paraphrase it: "Muzik analuse began venn Jenker invented the Ursatz".

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne
http://nicolas.meeus.free.fr
http://heinrichschenker.wordpress.com