[Smt-talk] Geno- and phenotype musical structures

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Wed Jan 16 12:07:22 PST 2013

Le 14/01/2013 19:08, Victor grauer a écrit :
> For example, the sort of linear continuities emphasized by analysts
> like Schenker are hardly universal and can hardly be taken as
> standards of "excellence" outside a relatively narrow historical
> framework, within which such a standard developed as a tradition.
Victor, I am somewhat surprized by such a statement. There are many
aspects of Schenkerian theory that certainly cannot count as in any way
approaching universality – e.g. all what concerns harmony, a phenomenon
that is far from universal. It seemed to me, however, that Schenker's
notion of "melodic fluency", which would seem to involve "linear
continuities", could apply in many musical cultures. Several of my
Tunisian students have applied ideas of linear continuity to the
analysis of maqam music, with a reasonable success, I believe.

I am in general very much again the idea of universals (in the
philosophic meaning of the term). I had thought, however, that melodic
fluency might be something strived for in many musics of the world –
even if musics do exist without it.

Can you develop your idea?

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne