[Smt-talk] fw: Lindberg mode

Anton Vishio ajvishio at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 13:38:55 PST 2013

Dear Jonathan,

I happened to have a copy of the Slonimsky Thesaurus lying around when I
saw this email and checked to see if the scale is there - his category of
"diapente progressions" features a variety of scales that replicate their
interval patterns at successive perfect fifths.  The specific scale you
mention doesn't appear - here Slonimsky stops short of the "interpolation
of four notes" between the P5 nodes that would be needed to generate the
complete pattern - but he does have several partial matches on pages
127-129 within his three-note interpolations:

scale 947 (C C# D E G G# A B D etc.)
scale 948 (C C# D F G G# A C D etc.)
scale 958 (C D E F G A B C D etc.)

(only this latter gets a name, not surprisingly - the "Disjunct Major
Polytetrachord.")

Given this, had Slonimsky gone on to compile four-note interpolations
replicating every P5, I imagine that the mode you describe would have
appeared.

I don't know if Lindberg talks about Slonimsky anywhere, and of course he
could well have developed the scale independently; Lindberg could also have
come to Slonimsky through encounters with various works of John Adams.

In any case, I'll be very interested to see what you find out about the
prehistory (if any) of the mode and Lindberg's use of it.

Anton Vishio
University of San Francisco (part-time)