[Smt-talk] fw: Lindberg mode

Stephen Taylor staylor7 at illinois.edu
Sun Jan 20 09:36:30 PST 2013

I use these kinds of interval cycles all the time when I'm composing; they're a useful way to make scales (or arpeggios if you use larger intervals) that don't repeat at the octave. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to send a Sibelius plug-in I wrote which can generate lots of these; a screenshot is below. It works on Sibelius 5 and later. (In Sib 7 the plug-in will appear under the "Note Input" tab after you install it.)

Just for fun, on the screenshot I have circled Jay Rahn's 4-semitone interval cycle (see his message below), to show where it occurs as the 'mode' repeats.

Stephen Taylor
Associate Professor of Composition-Theory
School of Music
http://www.stephenandrewtaylor.net