[Smt-talk] Teaching for free

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Mon Jul 1 06:11:12 PDT 2013

Dear Victor,

While I agree that some higher ed costs have become scandalously unreasonable and I applaud your idealism, I have reservations re tuition-free education. Here they are:

1. One tends to get what one pays for. Psychologists, for ex, know that a fee is necessary.

2. To devise curricula meeting the needs/ interests of each student is work-intensive on an ongoing basis. In addition, to be effective, the lessons need to be professional (informality tends to devolve into coffee chats) and to occur regularly. I dare to guess that few will be committed enough to sustain this with no financial compensation.

3. Some of us earn necessary income teaching privately. To be undercut by those who can afford to work gratis, often because of former lucrative positions, is dismaying.

3. Public universities were created 100+ yrs ago to meet this situation. Tuition at the City University of New York is 15% of tuition at many private institutions.

4. If someone wants to contribute in retirement, how about teaching at a neighborhood music school? Or establishing one (what your idea seems  to imply); but, of course, this takes  enormous work and ongoing funding.
Good luck!

Best regards,
Donna Doyle

Adjunct Lecturer
Queens College-CUNY
Flushing, NY 11367

Manhattan School of Music
Full-time Faculty, Theory and Composition Depts,
1984-1999