[Smt-talk] [Smt-announce] CFP: Engaging Students, a crowdsourced ebook on music pedagogy

Dave Headlam dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu
Tue Jul 9 07:14:50 PDT 2013

Dear Kris and all:

Thanks, Kris, for such a thoughtful and detailed response to my somewhat
"flip" comments -- in contrast to my snap judgement and too-harsh
appraisal of TED talks (they really are very interesting and often
inspiring), this all seems well-considered indeed.  I encourage you to
work with the Journal of Music Theory Pedagogy website and related
materials (http://jmtp.ou.edu/), where Steve Laitz and supporting cast
are doing great things, the MTO site and related activities
(http://www.mtosmt.org/index.php), which have taken off in new
directions under Yonatan Malin, and even check into the new College
Music Symposium site, for much of interest (see, for example,
http://symposium.music.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1094:why-is-there-such-a-mismatch-between-academia-and-the-music-industry?&Itemid=129).

I look forward to the day when we have "google earpieces" that can
instantly conjure up whatever excerpt we require, in audio and
midi-reduced-texture form, to buttress our lectures!

Dave Headlam

On 7/2/13 11:51 AM, Kris Shaffer wrote:

> Dear Members of the Old Guard,
>
> I appreciate the critical thoughts that Dave puts forward in regards
> to the /Engaging Students/ ebook project (though, it seems, not
> exclusively in regards that project). However, as far as our project
> is concerned, there is little that is new besides the technology. This
> project seeks to leverage new technological possibilities to promote
> the free exchange of ideas. We also seek submissions that, in
> particular, center on undoing some of the negative aspects of the
> factory model of education, in favor of an older, more lab-,
> tutorial-, or apprenticeship-like approach. As for the review process,
> we are simply making use of tools like email, file sharing, and short
> essays to expedite the review process, providing something a little
> more like pre-publication department colloquia to those who do not
> have such a luxury. Versions of this model has been used effectively
> by multiple scholarly publications of late, two of which were
> mentioned in the original call for submissions. We are attempting to
> think critically about both the old and the new, in order to find the
> combinations of tools, techniques, materials, and publication models
> that best suit our various pedagogical and professional settings.
> These, I believe, are quite old ideas (and, where not current, I hope
> will be the "next new thing").
>
> With that in mind, let this whippersnapper offer a few more specific
>
> First, this project in no way subverts well considered thought
> processes. In fact, we hope that this project will attract a large
> number of submissions from those in teach-heavy positions that have
> many years of experience and many kernels of wisdom to share. I can
> speak from my experience of the last two years that a heavy teaching
> load in a position where only teaching and service count toward
> promotion can make it difficult to put out substantial research papers
> on pedagogical topics. Maintaining a blog is also a significant
> undertaking. However, writing 1500 words during July for a project
> with a wide distribution potential should be both feasible and, we
> hope, attractive. Many of those who have been working for years "in
> the trenches" in teaching colleges have myriad well considered,
> time-tested ideas to share with the rest of us. We hope that they will
> be attracted to this model of publishing.
>
> Second, let me point out that for an idea to be time-tested, it needs
> to be put to the test. The traditional model of publication is one way
> to vet ideas. However, we believe that such vetting processes can also
> be done collaborative and in the open. In fact, we have seen that work
> in our own careers, as those of us who work in relative isolation as
> theorists and instructors of theory have shared ideas via blogs,
> social media, unconferences, and even SMT-talk. The feedback received
> both from critics and from others who have been following similar
> [...]

Dave Headlam
Professor of Music Theory
Eastman School of Music
26 Gibbs St.