[Smt-talk] Goethe

Joseph Lubben jlubben at oberlin.edu
Mon May 20 05:43:11 PDT 2013

To All,

In the "Vermischtes" of Tonwille 5, Schenker includes a section entitled "German Form."  Too lengthy to quote here, Schenker's exposition might be summed up as:

(1) Goethe wrote brilliantly about all other arts;
(2) He possessed neither musical capacity nor capable instructors on music, and therefore was incapable of profound understanding or clarity in writing about music;
(3) His writings on the arts in general can be applied successfully to music, by one who has the capacity to understand music as deeply as Goethe understood other arts;
(4) (implicitly) that person is Schenker.

To really get at Schenker's meaning, the whole passage should be read.  It runs from the end of p. 213 to the beginning of 216 in volume 1 of the English translation, and pp. 46-48 in the original German of Tonwille 5.

Joseph Lubben

Associate Professor of Music Theory
Oberlin Conservatory
440-775-8239