[Smt-talk] labeling scales

Bruce Grant bruce.grant at wanadoo.fr
Thu Nov 28 05:22:24 PST 2013

Dear colleagues ,

Martin Braun's reaction to Dimitar Ninov's thoughts on "Double harmonic
major and minor" scales underlines the confusion generated by naming scales
geographically. Even theorists of the middle ages confused the ancient Greek
modes of Dorian, Phrygian and Lydian origin! It would be better to stick to
qualifications of major and minor.

However, I agree with Martin that the tetrachord with the augmented second
in the middle should not be called "harmonic". After all, composers have
been harmonizing the so-called "melodic minor" scale for centuries! I
suggest naming this tetrachord (Hijaz in Arabic) the "altered" tetrachord
since the alteration of the sixth degree can be both harmonic and melodic.
So the scales in question could be called double altered major or double
altered minor, the harmonic minor scale becoming altered minor, as opposed
to natural minor. That gives us the possibility of naming the scale with a
major pentachord and an altered tetrachord, often found in romantic music,
the "altered major scale". I don't know if there is another official name.
I've never seen "harmonic major" used!

More thoughts at
http://bruce.grant.pagesperso-orange.fr/Especes%20doctave.PDF

Bruce Grant, DM, Indiana University