[Smt-talk] Harmonic and Melodic Scales

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Sat Nov 30 18:08:54 PST 2013

Ildar,

While I fully agree with you that detecting sets and collections of
pitches is a Western concern, I believe it to be older than you think.
In the case of Arabic music, the Western musicians present at the Cairo
Congress of 1932 advocated a conception of the Arabic system as formed
of 24 quarter tones, against all evidence as we can see it today, and
this had the most nefarious influence on Arabic theory itself.

We should realize, I believe, that even in Occidental music, even if we
think it based on an underlying dodecaphonic system, it would be more
reasonable to view tonalities as founded on heptatonic scales, of which
the 3d degree determines the major or minor character (but with the
possibility of passing from the one to the other as a result of a
possible mobility of this degree), with the mobility of the 7th or the
4th degree possibly (but not necessarily) opening paths to modulations
by a fourth or a fifth (flatwards or sharpwards), and the mobility of
other degrees (mainly the 6th and to a lesser extent the 2d) opening
paths to other, more remote regions.

To view the mobility of these degrees as changes of scales (from major
to Mixolydian or Lydian, from 'natural' minor to 'harmonic' or
'melodic', etc.) seems to me quite unmusical. Our note names, be they
letters or solmization syllables, count only seven degrees in the
octave, with additional signs to denote the mobility; and our keyboards
show 7 white keys in the octave, with black keys for the mobility. Pitch
class set theory replaced these with 12 numerals in the octave, or tried
to, but may not have been so successful for describing our music of the
past.

I can follow your description of Rimsky's gradual modulation through
pivot chords (e.g. the minor subdominant), and I would easily agree with
it. The question, however, is whether he understood such shifts as
resulting from scale shifts, say from 'natural' (or 'diatonic') major to
'harmonic' major, which would seem to me an unduly complex description,
so much more complex than explaining that the subdominant can become
minor as a result of the mobility of the 6th degree. You certainly know
Rimsky better than any of us, and I'd be eager to know how he conceived
this.

Nicolas Meeùs
University Paris-Sorbonne

(PS. While you certainly know Rimsky better than any of us, you should
refrain from statements about Schenker based on a superficial
knowledge... There is much more in Schenker than Oster's /Free
Composition/.)