[Smt-talk] Looking for bad text settings

Justin London jlondon at carleton.edu
Wed Aug 20 08:06:51 PDT 2014

Dear collective wisdom,

For a unit on rhythm, meter, and text setting, I am on the looking for examples of especially awful text setting—that is, mis-matches between poetic scansion and the musical rhythm that are especially jarring or awkward.

While we will enjoy seeing these sent on the list, I promise also to produce a collated list—perhaps we can have a contest(!)

All best, and thanks in advance,
Justin London

Justin London
Professor of Music (and other stuff), Carleton College
Department of Music
One North College St.
Northfield, MN 55057 USA
+1 507-222-4397

Affiliated Researcher, Centre for Music and Science, University of Cambridge
Fulbright Professor (2014), University of Jyväskylä, Finland
jlondon at carleton.edu