[Smt-talk] Looking for bad text settings

Paul Siskind siskinpa at potsdam.edu
Fri Aug 22 06:41:00 PDT 2014

Hi Justin:  You might look at some Alanis Morissette's songs, especially
from her early albums.  (e.g. "Jagged Little Pill"; the song "Head Over
Feet" has clear examples (and the cleanest lyrics).  Also look at
"Uninvited," from the soundtrack to "City of Angels.").  The bad scansion
helps project her sense of irony, and create her "bad girl" persona.

Tori Amos' early songs also have some examples of bad scansion (for
similar effect/affect; see her album "Little Earthquakes," see the song
"Winter"); but I think it's more prevalent in Alanis Morrisette.

...Paul

> Dear collective wisdom,
>
> For a unit on rhythm, meter, and text setting, I am on the looking for
> examples of especially awful text setting—that is, mis-matches between
> poetic scansion and the musical rhythm that are especially jarring or
> awkward.
>
> While we will enjoy seeing these sent on the list, I promise also to
> produce a collated list—perhaps we can have a contest(!)
>
> All best, and thanks in advance,
> Justin London

> Justin London
> Professor of Music (and other stuff), Carleton College
> Department of Music
> One North College St.
> Northfield, MN 55057 USA
> +1 507-222-4397
>
> Affiliated Researcher, Centre for Music and Science, University of
> Cambridge
> Fulbright Professor (2014), University of Jyväskylä, Finland
> jlondon at carleton.edu

Dr. Paul A. Siskind                        Home:
Professor of Composition and Theory        Sweet Child Music
The Crane School of Music, SUNY-Potsdam    69 N. Main Street
Potsdam, NY  13676                         Norwood, NY  13668
(315) 267-3241                             (315) 353-2389