[Smt-talk] Realizing a figured bass in the curriculum

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Sun Dec 14 07:40:24 PST 2014

Yes, chords are more than "concatenated chunks." Jazz players who set out to arrange and compose discover this--what's left up to the players in improv becomes voice-leading for which the arranger/composer is responsible. The quick solution is to turn to the studio for gimmicks and layers. If one wants to develop craft, one learns counterpoint (and the figured bass that emanated from it). That's what distinguished Monteverdi from the Camarata (who listens to their Orfeo?), what Schubert sought out in his last days (one species lesson from Sechter before he died), what Schumann learned from Clara. Why bother? They'd already written glorious music "intuitively." Why did Gershwin go to Boulanger (or Ravel or whoever). They bothered because they knew they needed training to raise themselves to a higher level. Why did Fux write his species method? Because he worried that young composers writing all-the-rage homophonic opera tunes lacked the skill to develop further.

Counterpoint and figured bass are similar to dance barre exercises (which professional dancers do EVERY DAY when they take class). No choreography asks to see someone perform barre exercises, but without them a dancer lacks the physical alignment needed to execute sophisticated formations.

It seems to me that, if we aspire to our best, we'll go beyond what some employer expects of us, or even beyond the mode of the day. And we'll respect our students enough to inspire them to do the same.

Best regards,
Donna Doyle

Aaron Copeland School of Music
Queens College