[Smt-talk] theory of film music

Burton, Deborah burtond at bu.edu
Fri Jul 4 11:53:05 PDT 2014

Just a quick observation that film music developed from opera (especially Wagnerian and post-Wagnerian types) and that any in-depth analysis of it should recognize this aspect.  (Vertigo is so Tristan-esque it is practically plagiarism.)

Although music in an opera occupies the "first place" (in that all the other elements are heard/seen though its filter), while film music functions as a secondary layer added to the visual/dramatic, the musical techniques and the complexities of narrativity, are very similar and should not be ignored.

Deborah Burton
Boston University
burtond at bu.edu