[Smt-talk] Short comments invited by editors of a forthcoming book on Algorithmic Music

Victor grauer victorag at verizon.net
Fri Jul 11 19:58:50 PDT 2014

On Fri, 7/11/14, alex <alex at slab.org> wrote:

 "We are happy to share the news that we have had our proposal
 for the
 Oxford Handbook on Algorithmic Music accepted. Before we
 start
 approaching authors to contribute chapters, we are keen to
 canvas
 opinions within our communities that may diverge from or
 complement
 our present ideas."

I'll be happy to oblige, since I've composed many algorithmic compositions for both analogue and digital computers. Also because I have a feeling the approach I've taken diverges from what you seem to have in mind. I like to set processes in motion and then "tune" them until the machine begins to sing. Not much like most people's ideas of what computer music is like, I must say -- but it works for me. The notion of some sort of algorithm based on an abstract conception of what a "good" piece of music (or good poem) should sound like does not appeal to me at all.

In any case, if you happen to be curious about my work and how it was generated, I'll refer you to the following website featuring full length recordings of some  algorithmic works of mine, along with a fair amount of background information explaining how they were composed: http://doktorgee.worldzonepro.com/GrauerMusic.html

The algorithmic compositions are: "Small Dog," "Pipes 1 & 2", "Mondo 2-5," and "Millennium Fanfares."

Victor Grauer
Pittsburgh, PA
USA