[Smt-talk] You say structure I say structuralism lets

Ildar Khannanov etudetableau at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 20:49:47 PDT 2014

Dear Mark and the List,

I apologize for clogging the blog with postings, but it is you whom to
blame: I get inspiration from your responses and the dialogue. So, if I ask
Bob to post this one tomorrow I think I will not violate the rule of one
posting per day.

I would like to return to our discussion of structure. In a nut shell, the
main contribution of Stoics was their attention to the word as a reified
entity and their understanding of active cause of physics as the word of
god.

They (Zeno, Cleanthes and Chrysippus) were the first to isolate word
(speech, language) from what it refers to, into a self-standing thing,
phenomenon in its own right. I would like to repeat my hypothesis that
caused the rage of one of my colleagues few month ago. What strikes me as a
substantial difference between the Old Testament and the New Testament is
the treatment of word. Of course, in the ancient text words (say,
commandments) were given a serious role, but they were fast attached to the
objects and meanings. In the New Testament, all of a sudden, en arche hen
ho logos is introduced in such manner that it seems that the word becomes
an independent agency. Where does this come from?

Among many possible sources I could name Greek Stoics. They introduced
propositional logic (the logic of language per se, independent of
references). In the quotation that we have discussed (and I would like to
thank Mark for important corrections to my translation) the most important
contribution, on my view, is that the whole (or everything) does not exist
by itself, but is constantly affected by the agency of word. It is a
well-known aspect of the physics of the Stoics. Unlike Aristotle, they did
not worship the outer world of objects and did not isolate the language
into secondary system. On the contrary, in stoic view, Logos permeates
Kosmos, just as the semen permeates the egg. Logos spermaticos is the most
fantastic interpretation of language I have ever seen. Words make
(poieomai) the whole (holon) by affecting the passive things outside. Words
inseminate the whole, making it pregnant with sense and order. The word,
therefore, is the semen (semeion). Here comes semiotics.

As for the Universe (and I disagree with Yonge's translation here), stoics
could care less for the Universe as the world outside. Their use of to
Holon is similar to German der Ganze, or Ganzheit. A grave mistake would be
to conflate stoic interpretations of the whole with our habitual Universe.
Students may assume, then, that Zeno was a stargazer, just as Stephen
Hawkins. Stoics promoted cancellation of all perception (aisthesis) and
focused on the inner world of fantasy. Fantasian kataleptike--fantasies
under the condition of blocked perception. Autistic fantasies.

The problem of Aristotle and all materialists is that they place our
psychic activity (language included) in strict dependence from the objectal
world. The things that I can see and touch have the priority over the
things that I can imagine and express.

This can be the key for music theory, the way to disentangle ourselves from
the net of onto-teleological tyranny. And music theory, as mentioned in the
blog of Stephen Soderberg, will become more relevant.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute
etudetableau at gmail.com