[Smt-talk] The Ubiquitous Triad

Ildar Khannanov etudetableau at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 23:53:01 PDT 2014

Dear Stephen,

thank you for starting a fascinating discussion. My two cents, as always,
come from respect for 2500 years of tradition. I do not think that
Pythagoras was up for jokes. I know very well where from the critique of
the overtonal concept comes from but this is not the point.

The triad has been embedded in culture and history. Beyond its "music
theory today" aspect, it is related to major cultural constants. Rameau
calls it l'accord parfait for a reason. I disagree with Stephen Martin who
tried to dissociate Rameau and Descartes. I feel the breath of Cartesian
thought in Rameau. And Zarlino did provide the divine numeric proportions
for both major and minor triads (these numbers have been criticized as
well, but it is arguable and not finished yet). Triad is also related to
the morphologic forms of numerals that we have lost since Greeks.

Now, let us look at the triad; it is as much a concept of music theory as
it is a theological, philosophical, mathematical concept and a large part
of western worldview. What did we offer instead? A pitch class set, unlike
triad, has no roots in history, culture and national tradition. It is what
it is and nothing more, just the set of cardinal numbers.  I agree with Dr.
Forte's position: he intentionally created a tool that is independent of
the context. This is the goal of any scientific experiment. However, in
analysis we deal with music, which is par excellence a part of human
nature, humanities. Yes, it is annoyingly disorganized, illogical,
eclectic, etc. Does not meet rigorous criteria of scientificity. And yet,
it is what it is.

My suggestion would be to write a book on pitch class set in a wide
philosophical, theological, deconstructive context.

Is pitch class set a form of perfection? Is it capable of connecting
microcosmos with macrocosmos? Is it organic, natural, corporeal? Does it
allow for polysemy? How pitch class set is related to the concept of
harmony? What is the ontological status of pitch class set? It pitch class
set a teleological object (does it carry a goal in itself)? What is pitch
class set as a pure phenomenon? Does pitch class set relate to any
theological concept (Trinity, Transfiguration, Pneuma, etc.)?

These questions are overdue: the pc set has already become a tool of
composition, so it is not for theorists to doubt. As with the Dreyklang of
the figured bass tradition, we, theorists, deal with the status quo that
needs theoretization on a higher level.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute
etudetabeau at gmail.com

P.S. I really liked your reference to Borges! He indeed created new rules
of the game! I assigned my students to read his texts over the summer.
Expect an avalanche of ideas.