[Smt-talk] Harmonics

Whitcomb, Benjamin D whitcomb at uww.edu
Thu Jul 24 08:17:58 PDT 2014

Marcel,

The reason why we frequently find M3, m3, and other intervals altered in musical contexts is best explained, in my opinion, by the "two channel" theories of pitch processing, combined with ideas like Boomsliter and Creel's "extended reference" theory (see the short bibliography below). Major thirds are often expanded and minor thirds contracted in order to better differentiate them from each other. Experiments like Balzano's show this tendency well. The longer a chord is held, the more likely it is to be tuned justly (i.e., according to the harmonic "channel"); the shorter it is, the easier it is to bend the note in the direction of its voice leading tendencies (i.e., according to the melodic "channel").

The "roughness" theories fall flat (so to speak): if they were true, why are we just as able to tune a chord whose pitches are separated by an octave or more (thus, not close on the basilar membrane) as those within an octave? And, why can I tune intervals binaurally (i.e., one pitch in one ear and one in the other) as well as when I hear both pitches in both ears?

Here is a list of some of my favorite articles on these ideas:

Balzano, Gerald J.  “Musical vs. Psychoacoustical Variables and their Influence on the Perception of Musical Intervals.”  Bulletin of the Council for Research in Music Education 70 (1982): 1-11.

Boomsliter, Paul, and Warren Creel.  “Extended Reference: An Unrecognized Dynamic in Melody.”  Journal of Music Theory 7 (1963), 2-22.

__________.  “The Long Pattern Hypothesis in Harmony and Hearing.”  Journal of Music Theory 5 (1961): 2-31.

Deutsch, Diana.  “The Processing of Pitch Combinations.”  In The Psychology of Music, 2nd ed., ed. Diana Deutsch, 349-411.  New York: Academic Press, 1999.

Hajdu, Georg.  “Low Energy and Equal Spacing; the Multifactorial Evolution of Tuning Systems.” Interface 22 (1993): 319-333.

Noorden, Leon van.  “Two Channel Pitch Perception.”  In Music, Mind, and Brain, ed. Manfred Clynes, 251-67.  New York: Plenum Press, 1982.

Terhardt, Ernst.  “The Two-Component Theory of Musical Consonance.”  In Psychophysics and Physiology of Hearing  ed. E. F. Evans and J. P. Wilson, 381-390.  London: Academic Press, 1977.

-Benjamin

Dr. Benjamin Whitcomb
Professor of Cello and Music Theory
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater