[Smt-talk] Missing Theory Component

Victor grauer victorag at verizon.net
Sun Jun 1 08:05:39 PDT 2014

Dimitar Ninov wrote:

"General observations on a melodic curve may be offered very cautiously, but no rule should be made out of any of them."

I agree. I remember a composition class with Darius Milhaud, when Milhaud criticized the famous English Horn melody in the Franck symphony 2nd movement for being directionless. He complained that the melody kept returning to the same note, which for him made it  monotonous, if not pointless. I'd never thought of that before, so I did learn something from Milhaud's observations. But I found it difficult to agree, because the melody had always struck me (and so many others) as remarkably beautiful. When I later discussed this with Joseph McGrath, my composition teacher at Syracuse U., he said the melody expanded outward from the repeated note rather than moving in a single direction as with most melodies, and that was what made it work.

In any case as I see it, musical composition is very different from music theory. Although the study of theory can certainly help composers it can also hinder them by introducing inhibitory factors, such as "rules of good melodic writing." Which is why I have always recommended the study of composition prior to the study of theory. Theory should never be seen as rules for composition, but rather a kind of gymnasium where one goes to strengthen ones musical muscles.

Victor Grauer
Pittsburgh, PA USA