[Smt-talk] Doing music theory vs teaching music theory

Isaac Malitz imalitz at omsmodel.com
Sun Jun 1 20:12:37 PDT 2014

I think the fundamental issue is as follows:

      Mainstream music theory is "stuck" on a single model of music,
where music is modeled as a "Pattern Of Notes" ("PON".)
      PON is obviously a good model, it has been successful for several
hundred years.
      However, it misses a lot, and it is especially weak for analyzing
a great deal of contemporary music.

       What is needed now is the following:
       - A head-on critique of PON, so that it is very clear what is
good and bad about PON.
          In any scientific discipline (I think of music theory as a
kind of scientific discipline), any model has positive and negative
attributes. Let's get clear about this re PON.
       - Methodical discussion *at a high level* of alternatives to PON.
Not simplistic partial models, but "big" models that address the big
issues about music.
       - More generally a close analysis of how
musicians/music-theorists common "think" about music, and a critique
thereof (We need to think about how we think about music)

For some years I have been preoccupied with the above. And I am sorry to
report that I haven't found anyone else who is truly focused on the
above issues.
I don't claim to have all of the answers. But I think I have made some
headway.
See www.OMSModel.com for my latest work - however a revision is in progress.

One kind of model which is needed - and feasible - is a model that is
built around the way music is experienced.
The best attempt I have seen for this (other than my own?) is the model
that underlies Pandora.
This is a good attempt, unfortunately the experiential attributes are
not well-chosen from a scientific point of view.
I doubt that the leadership at Pandora has had the "musical" skill
necessary for this. Sorry to be so blunt, Pandora.
I have seen some small attempts for models in the field of Music Cognition.
But the best attempts seem to be small, partial models as opposed to a
BIG model.
(consider David Huron, whose work I like. But he just hasn't decided to
focus on the concept of a big experience-based model. )

Most scientific disciplines these days make extensive use of "models".
Consider: Physics; cosmology; biology; economics; sociology; psychology; ...
It is not good that Music Theory relies on PON almost exclusively.
This is like cosmology before Copernicus !!

Comments, please .

Isaac Malitz, Ph.D.
imalitz at OMSModel.com
818-231-3965
(I am a Ph.D. Philosophy/Logic, also a very good musician.  fyi: In the
world of Philosophy/Logic, issues such as models, scientific
methodology, foundations-of-science, etc are central subject matter.)