[Smt-talk] Popular Songs with 3 or more modulations?

Nick Braae braae.nick at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 14:23:20 PDT 2014

Hi all,

Queen's songs often featured multiple modulations, although a number
blurred the line between a modulation proper, and an extended tonicization.
Nonetheless, 'Bicycle Race' has episodes in Ab (I want to ride my bicycle),
Bb minor (you say black, I say white…), F (Bicycle races are coming your
way…), as well as the refrain which never confirms any key, and is
presented differently with each occurrence (opens with on Eb/Bb, then
starts on D, then on F later on…).

Also 'Millionaire Waltz' (the follow-up to 'Bohemian Rhapsody') has a broad
structural progression from C-F-Fm-Ab-Eb-Ab-Eb-C; a number of the song's
episodes are harmonically closed through a V-I cadence, which fosters the
impression of rapid, but complete modulations.

Hope that helps - very interesting thread!
Cheers,

Nick Braae

PhD Student
University of Waikato