[Smt-talk] Popular Songs with 3 or more modulations?

hoffmaba . hoffmaba at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 09:21:32 PDT 2014

After reading some responses to Devin's question, I think it's important to
distinguish between the type of so-called "pump-up" modulations Devin was
presumably talking about and the sectional modulations that Chris Doll has
written about in MTO and on which Trevor DeClerq has recently given papers.

I believe that Devin is referring to the practice in which a song repeats
formal material (typically the chorus) in a new key and stays there for the
remainder of the song, except to repeat the process by modulating in the
same way to yet another key.  Many of the responses have brought up
sectional modulations (Chris Doll calls this a "Breakout Chorus" when
appropriate). In these modulations, the verse and chorus (or other formal
section) are in different keys, but those keys remain static throughout the
song. Some well-known examples include The Beatles' "Penny Lane" which
alternates between verses in B and choruses in A (until the final chorus in
B) and Wild CHerry's  "Play That Funky Music," whose verses are in E and
choruses are in G (with a brief move to  B-flat at the end).

Best,
Brian Hoffman