[Smt-talk] "inversions"

Christine Emily Boone luvsfab4 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 06:27:30 PDT 2014

Trevor,

Yes, this is how quite a few piano methods refer to these chord positions in the right hand only. The reason they do so is to get students to easily recognize the "shape" of triads in the right hand, and each of these shapes needs a name. So a student can look at a line consisting of a lot of notes, and be able to say, "Ahh, this just a series of parallel chords in first inversion." But I agree, it is confusing when they then hear that the bass can somehow change that inversion that they've learned. I like your suggestion about using the word "position" instead of inversion!

-Christine Boone
Instructor of Music Theory
Indiana State University