[Smt-talk] Message from the Chair of the CSW (Laurel Parsons)

laurence willis laurence.willis at live.co.uk
Fri May 2 13:19:40 PDT 2014

Dear List,
I am sure the majority of you agree with Laurel Parsons recent message and I would like to start a discussion leading on from her wish for the positive energy seen on this topic to continue into the day to day of music theory.
I am an early years PhD student, and am aware that as I follow through my career I will run undergraduate courses as well as seminars.  I would like to promote an open and diverse environment when I do this.  Therefore, I am interested to hear how members of the list integrate discussion of equality and representation into their classes.  I am particularly interested in how this discussion can be encouraged in the seminar environment when the seminar topic isn't specifically geared towards such discussion.
What are some good strategies for encouraging profitable and interesting debate (and learning) on the subject of equality in the field?  How do members of the list go about raising awareness of these issues in a class setting?
I look forward to seeing some creative responses!
Laurence Willis
PhD Theory StudentMcGill University