[Smt-talk] Keyboards for theory classes?

Seth Monahan seth.monahan at rochester.rr.com
Fri May 2 13:45:24 PDT 2014

Dear friends,

While revising my Freshman theory course more to make it more explicitly piano-centered, I’ve had to contend with the possibility that the resulting spike in usage might well strain our campus resources.

This led me to wonder: has anyone in this community either (a) advised—or even required—students to acquire/purchase an inexpensive (<$100) electronic keyboard as part of their curricular requirements; or (b) sought to make such instruments available to music students through their institution—maybe as a rental, or even gratis, as part of their tuition or housing contract?

(Broadening the question a bit, I’d be equally keen to know of institutions that provide *any* complementary technology for their music students. I’ve heard grapevine stories, e.g., of newly-enrolled students receiving iPods from their departments, presumably in conjunction with various well-defined pedagogical aims.)

I'd welcome responses either on-list or off.

Gratefully,

- Seth

Seth Monahan
Assistant Professor of Music Theory
Eastman School of Music, University of Rochester
Reviews Editor, Music Theory Spectrum
(585) 274-1556
www.sethmonahan.com