[Smt-talk] Using the Keyboard in Theory Classes

Ninov, Dimitar N dn16 at txstate.edu
Fri May 9 18:05:47 PDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Michael Gogins wrote:

"I would like to point out that not all music composition involves hearing
music in the first place, whether in the inner ear, or at the keyboard, or
at the computer."

If a music composition did  involve the necessity to hear music, why call it a musical composition? Let it remain silent forever, and simply experience the pleasure of observing it visually. Thus anyone would have the confidence to announce himself/herself as a great composer.

This logic reminds me about the nature of pitch set analysis. It too, does not involve the necessity of hearing anything. It does not even involve the necessity to observe, for someone else may tell you what collection of pitches the composer has used in his composition, and your analysis is ready to go...up to the "z" level. And yes, for that purpose, you do not even have to be a musician - it is enough to be able to recognize the musical staff, the notes, and the intervals.

I think that pitch set theory is applicable to all styles, with no exception. You could analyze with equal success a chromatic melody by Bach, or a fragment by Schoenberg, and one this is certain - after the analysis has taken place, no one would be able to tell who is who and what is what. It seems a good way of building a career in music, without being musical.

Thank you,

Dimitar

Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
School of Music