[Smt-talk] F SHARP MAJOR

Stephen Jablonsky jablonsky at optimum.net
Sun May 18 19:38:47 PDT 2014

I know that many of our members in academe are preparing for the end of the school year and have little time for a dalliance with a particular key and the rest of you have busy lives as well. I, on the other hand, being a lifteime composer, have a mild case of OCD and could not let go of this inquiry into the frequency of usage of F sharp major. A cursory search of the Internet, and some help from friends, has produced what may be the first definitive list of works in this very rare key. Obviously, the list does not include works that attempt to do things in every key. G flat major is another story for another day.

Beethoven                   Sonata No. 24, op.78

Chopin                        Nocturne op. 15, No. 2; Barcarole, op. 60; Impromptu, op. 36

Dvorak                        Humoresque, B. 138 (op. 32)

Huré                           Sonata for Cello and Piano No. 3

Korngold                     Symphony, op. 40

Liszt                            “Benediction de Dieu dans la solitude” from Harmonies poetique et religieuses, III

Mahler                        Symphony No. 10

Scarlatti                      Sonatas, K. 318 and 319

Schumann                  Romance, op. 28, No. 2

Scriabin                      Sonata No. 4, op. 30; Poeme, op. 32. No. 1

Soler                           Sonata, Rubio 90

Dr. Stephen Jablonsky, Ph.D.
Music Department Chair
The City College of New York
Shepard Hall Room 72