[Smt-talk] Jeppesen Friday

Phillip Dineen murraydineen at uottawa.ca
Fri May 30 07:01:39 PDT 2014

I'm very pleased to follow the Jeppesen discussion, particularly since the history of music theory deserves greater recognition, having been dropped from many (but not all!) graduate theory curricula. I suspect that many of my colleagues would not know of this Jeppesen, and his albeit debatable contribution to our field. In that spirit, a little Friday joke, mostly for Peter, a variation on an old one. A young theoretical couple, theorists X and Y, with newly minted PhD's in hand are invited to a party given by a senior theorists to which other theorists, junior and senior, have been invited similarly. The party goes well, and after wine and canapés several attendees move to the parlour and begin a discussion of things theoretical. The subject turns to counterpoint and, among other topics, Jeppesen. There are vigorous arguments for and against. Under the pressure of the newly minted PhD, theorist X figures one had better get into this discussion, so as to make a name for oneself. Theorist X: "I saw Jeppesen getting on the number 7 bus to go to the beach today." There is a polite silence, and then discussion resumes taking no note of the interjection. Later as theorists X and Y return to their apartment, theorist Y bursts into tears. "What's wrong," says theorist X. "Oh you idiot," replies theorist Y: "You've made a complete fool of yourself. Everyone knows the number 7 bus doesn't go to the beach!"

Sobriety Monday.

Murray Dineen
University of Ottawa, School of Music
murraydineen at uottawa.ca