[Smt-talk] The F stands for "Francisco"

Walter Everett weverett at umich.edu
Thu May 1 12:37:46 PDT 2014

>From Mark Yeary:

>From now on, let i-VI-III-VII be known as the San Francisco Chord
> Progression.
>
> It’s heard in the opening measures (in E minor, following a two-bar
> G-major intro) of Scott McKenzie’s 1967 single “San Francisco.”

I hear this as a locally incomplete goal-directed progression in G major, *vi
| IV | I | V*.  The third verse ornaments it with changing surface
qualities, expanding two of the functions, as *vi* | ii - *IV* |* I* - iii
| *V*.  The song's structure ends with a PAC in G.  There is a lot of rock
music where the tonal center is ambiguous in a relative major / aeolian
alternation, but this seems to me to be in G major. Thanks for an
interesting post!  best, walt everett

> --
> Mark Yeary, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor of Music Theory
> School of Music, University of Louisville

*Walter Everett*
*Professor of Music*
*Department of Music Theory*
*The University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance*
*1100 Baits Dr.*
*Ann Arbor, MI  48109-2085*

*weverett at umich.edu <weverett at umich.edu>*
*voice: 734-763-2039*