[Smt-talk] Last about Gender Terminology in Writings

Devin Chaloux devin.chaloux at gmail.com
Fri May 2 06:45:47 PDT 2014

Greetings list,

I am uncomfortable with some of the opinions about grammatical
constructions that have recently been posted. Dimitar Ninov's sentence D is
technically grammatically correct. "They" can be used as a singular
gender-neutral pronoun and it has been in use since the 17th-century. I
should note that it's not necessarily gender neutral because of politically
correctness, but it is gender neutral because the gender is not known.

Maybe because most of us are familiar with Strunk and White, we make the
judgment that they *cannot* be used as such and thus is an "abomination"
and "grammatically incorrect." However, at times I feel like Strunk and
White (and other authoritative sources on grammar) feel extremely dated in
this situation. English does not have dedicated singular personal pronoun
for indeterminate gender. They has been substituted in this situation. For
more information, the Wikipedia page is actually extremely thorough on the
singular they. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

Frankly, anyone should be able to use the singular they if *they* want to.
:)

I find that the war against the usage of the singular they is actually very
similar to the war against ending sentences with prepositions. It wasn't a
rule that sentences should not end with prepositions until John Dryden
decided it was poor English to do so. And it stuck!

I would like to express that I think Rob Schultz's solution to this problem
is ultimately the best solution. Rephrasing can go a long way in fixing
many of these problems. But sometimes, they may be unavoidable. One should
not frown on these situations.

Best,

*Devin Chaloux*
Indiana University
Ph.D. in Music Theory (enrolled)
University of Cincinnati - College-Conservatory of Music
M.M. in Music Theory '12
University of Connecticut
B.M. in Music Theory '10