[Smt-talk] Last about Gender Terminology in Writings

Nicole Biamonte nbiamonte at aya.yale.edu
Fri May 2 08:17:06 PDT 2014

On gendered pronouns: often the simplest strategy to avoid these is to
recast the construction in the plural: "Poor students, they do not know
what to expect."

On when to be offended:  it has been suggested that those of us who
were disturbed by the sexist implications of SFCP should be able to
transcend our emotional reactions to the term.  This perpetuates exactly
the same gender stereotyping we complained about in the first place.  I
don't think it should be a problem to be offended by offensive
terminology.  For example, if I named another chord progression the
"insensitive male chord progression" or the "benighted mansplainer
progression" I would expect to get called out for it, and rightfully so.

On a larger problem with this list: the mandate of this list is to
facilitate scholarly discussion, debate, and exchange of ideas. This
requires critical reflection, a willingness to engage--respectfully--with
others' views, and the understanding that if other scholars disagree with
you, it is not necessarily because they don't understand your argument.
(See how I put that in the plural to avoid a gendered pronoun?)  Repeatedly
restating your position is not a form of scholarly debate.

All best,
Nicole Biamonte
McGill University