[Smt-talk] Preserving SMT's social capital

Gregory Karl gregkarl at frontier.com
Fri May 2 15:16:24 PDT 2014

On May 2, 2014, at 2:07 PM, John Paul Ito wrote:

> - emails have been sent off-list (i.e. without moderation),
> directly to posters, that challenge them or in some way comment
> negatively on a highly sensitive topic.  This sounds to me a lot
> like harassment.  It's an oversimplification to speak of "sides" in
> this issue, but people on both "sides" of the discussion have
> received these emails.

Given your opinion that "significant numbers of people . . . feel
that an SMT-sponsored discussion is not a safe space," your choice to
use language reasonably interpreted as inflammatory ("This sounds to
me a lot like harassment") seems ill-considered — unless you have
made all reasonable efforts to verify that the off-list
communications in question were made intentionally. After all, and as
you have noted, the default reply command on this list sends private
messages, a thoroughly counterintuitive result potential posters will
have been unlikely to encounter anywhere else on the web. This is
especially important in cases like the present one because "hot-
button topics" are likely to elicit responses from members who post
infrequently. Before today I hadn't posted for quite a while and I
very nearly sent a couple of private messages by accident.

Gregory Karl
Jay NY