[Smt-talk] Keyboards for theory classes?

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Mon May 5 11:07:27 PDT 2014

I agree with points raised by Deborah and David. Time and again, I find that the best ET students are the pianists (and the others are wistfully jealous of them). Only the keyboard gives one a physical grasp of the total range of orchestral sound and places it on the grand staff. Guitarists with MM degrees (e. g., Leo McFadden, NEC/Amanda Monaco, Berklee) have studied with me privately to further their keyboard skills/score reading. All music students should be afforded the opportunity to learn kybd from the beginning.

Donna Doyle

Adjunct Assistant Professor
Aaron Copeland School of Music
Queens College