[Smt-talk] Keyboards for theory classes?

Daniel Wolf djwolf at snafu.de
Tue May 6 11:55:04 PDT 2014

As useful as keyboard proficiency can be (and as useful as I've found it
myself), I'd advise some caution with regard to making it a universal
prerequisite for musicians, composers in particular.  We have simply been
the beneficiaries of too many counter-examples, suggesting that a
diversity of preparations in terms of musicianship may have in fact been a
substantial component in creating the diversity and liveliness of music.
Many composers were primarily vocalists: Ockeghem, Telemann and Samuel
Barber were noted for their voices. There have been fine composers whose
instrument of virtuosity was not a keyboard instrument:  fretted string
players like Weiss or Marais, violinists like Paganini or Sibelius.
Consider Berlioz, whose instruments were guitar, flute, flageolet and
timpani. Or Conlon Nancarrow, composer of that astonishing body of work
for player piano, who was a trumpet player, not a pianist.  Rossini was
emphatic about the modest nature of his keyboard skills, Wagner perhaps
even more so. Then there are widely-played contemporary composers like
Nono, John Corigliano, Christopher Rouse, and John Mackey, without
performance-level instrumental skills. When I orchestrate, I like to know
how every instrumental sound I write might be physically produced on a
instrument (I had a Jr. High music teacher who let me take home a
different instrument every couple weeks and later worked as a repair
person), but others orchestrate, and do so brilliantly, without any such
knowledge. And, of course, there is the equally-important argument that
some composers are so oriented toward the keyboard that it has had a
detrimental effect on their non-keyboard compositions. So, in many cases
useful, but not in all cases essential.

The practical question, then, is how do theory or theory & musicianship
classes control for proficiency and fluency in harmonic practice given
this diversity of skills or orientations?  Some institutions will likely
not be flexible enough to handle this diversity, or even find it
undesirable, but others certain are or could be. I suspect that smaller
liberal arts institutions will be more successful than conservatories and
larger university departments or schools of music, but I may well be wrong
and would be interested in learning more.

Daniel Wolf
Frankfurt

Dr Daniel Wolf
composer