[Smt-talk] Music Notation Software Alternative

Paul Lombardi lombardi at unm.edu
Wed May 7 13:39:46 PDT 2014

Dear Felicia,

I agree with you. I find that when people (students as well as composers with degrees) write directly into notation software, the results are often unmusical, awkward, or limited in musical depth. As was stated in the other active thread, the results are often better when the music is worked out at the keyboard. I don't know if this anecdote is true and I don't necessarily agree with it, but I once heard someone say that Stravinsky said, "There are two types of composers: those that use the keyboard and those that should."

Students in my online fundamentals class do two main types of problems: identification and writing. Identification is done electronically by multiple choice. Students get a random selection of problems from a bank of questions, and their scores are automatically emailed to me. For writing, students print PDFs, fill them out by hand, and then submit them by scan, fax, or photo image. Even though we are in a digital age, students don't learn some things without writing them by hand. I find that most students can't even write barlines correctly until they get feedback.

Best,
Pau

Paul Lombardi, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Music Theory and Composition, University of South Dakota
Lecturer III, University of New Mexico