[Smt-talk] Music Notation Software Alternative

Stephen Jablonsky jablonsky at optimum.net
Wed May 7 22:33:54 PDT 2014

If one more theorist admits to be a guitar player I’m going to scream. Am I the only theorist who was trumpet player?

I blame this whole guitar thing on the Beatles. Since the Fab Four invaded our shores three quarters of the students who enter our school play the drums, the bass, or the guitar.

All kidding aside, the major question at hand concerns the ways our students come to understand music, and playing the piano is just one of them. Even though I am not an accomplsihed pianist I do find that playing critical sections of pieces I am analyzing on the piano helps a great deal. It is as if there is a tactile intelligence that comes through my fingers tips and brings new perspective to the piece I am studying. You all know that great chord in The Old Castle…well, I appreciate that marvelous nonharmonic tone even more when I resolve it with my own hands.

Dr. Stephen Jablonsky, Ph.D.
Music Department Chair
The City College of New York
Shepard Hall Room 72