[Smt-talk] Beethoven's inner ear

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Sun May 11 23:01:17 PDT 2014

Eytan,

It is most striking that you write that Beethoven's _scores_ testify to
his inner ear. Why scores, why not "Beethoven's music"? Would the inner
hear be about reading scores, rather than hearing music? Is our inner
ear an inner eye?
      I'm not being ironic here, this is a question that always puzzled
me. To me at least, what my inner ear tells me of music seems quite
closer to what I can read than to what I hear, and I have always admired
those who do _hear_ what they read, and write what their inner ear tells
them – friends composers, for instance, who could write an orchestration
without having to change anything after they first heard the result.
     This is why I became a theorist, and not a composer.

Nicolas

Nicolas Meeùs
Paris-Sorbonne University
http://nicolas.meeus.free.fr