[Smt-talk] Scale degrees

Stephen Jablonsky jablonsky at optimum.net
Fri May 16 14:35:08 PDT 2014

Since we are all getting back into the friendly theory mode, I must share with you my amusement at the question of scales. Most jazz and pop players read from fake books and real books that rarely venture past three flats or sharps, and so it is with much of classical music as well. I believe Mozart is a good example.

Some keys just have not been that popular. I challenge the gang to come up with standard repertoire pieces that are in F# major aside from a death-defying symphony by Mahler, a nocturne and barcarolle by Chopin, a romance by Schumann, and a sonata by Scriabin and Scarlatti, and a book called Anthology of Horror in F-sharp Major by Rene David Rivero. And, yes, I didn’t forget the WTC which stands alone in the history of music for way too many reasons and may prove that Bach was an extra-terrestrial.

Dr. Stephen Jablonsky, Ph.D.
Music Department Chair
The City College of New York
Shepard Hall Room 72