[Smt-talk] Pieces in F# major

Ferencz, George J ferenczg at uww.edu
Mon May 19 08:17:47 PDT 2014

Dear All:

I took a look at the "Themefinder" website David Huron mentioned (which I
didn't know about), and wondered why the search results looked so
familiar. Aha!--it was more-or-less cribbed from the venerable "Dictionary
of Musical Themes" (Barlow & Morgenstern, 1940s), which I'd just been
consulting for the same purpose. Interesting to see all those same
incipits of exactly the same length, etc.

Paul Creston was one of those composers who seemed to want to use every
tonality, and I'll bet there's something--if only for piano--in F#.

If the query encompassed substantial orchestral cues for (vintage) film
scores, there'd be several to add, as well.

Smiles,

George Ferencz
Dept. of Music
U. Wisconsin-Whitewater
ferenczg at uww.edu

p.s. two more piano pieces, both published in "Neo-Russian Piano Music"
(Carl Fischer, ca. 1915): "Cavotte-Caprice," op3 no3, by Sergei
Bortkewicz, and "Harmonies du Soir," op7 no1, by Heinrich Pachulski. Both
pieces "fit under the hands" very nicely in F#, and would be less grateful
in, say, F or G.