[Smt-talk] F SHARP MAJOR

Anton Vishio ajvishio at gmail.com
Mon May 19 11:17:30 PDT 2014

Donna's message about keyboard layout and the emails about Irving Berlin
reminded me of another possible source of F#M/GbM pieces: the stride piano
repertoire.  In particular, Luckey and The Lion, featuring Luckey Roberts
and Willie "The Lion" Smith, is a recording I've treasured for years.  Of
the six Roberts selections, at least Inner Space and Outer Space begin and
end in F#M/GbM, while the second and concluding part of Nothin' is in
F#M/GbM - the first part is in C#M/DbM - the key of two other numbers.  The
other selection, the astonishing Spanish Fandango, is in Bb minor (or A#
minor if you prefer...), with strains in Db and Gb Major.

(Roberts claimed to be Gershwin's teacher; whether or not there were actual
lessons, Gershwin was certainly aware of his playing and other contemporary
stride pianists - I'm not sure if this connects to Jonathan Santore's
observations about the Gershwin Preludes, but it's suggestive anyway.)

I have a transcription of Outer Space in a volume by Riccardo Scivales
which I cannot find at the moment, but I dimly recall he chooses to
transcribe it in Gb Major; his transcription of the first part of Nothin'
(which turned up on Google Books...) is in Db Major, so I assume he would
assign the other section to Gb Major. I don't know if he had a rationale
for selecting the flat-side version.

Perhaps Eric Lai's theory professor could have told us...

Anton Vishio
ajvishio at gmail.com