[Smt-talk] F-sharp major

Mark Ansoncartwright Mark.Ansoncartwright at qc.cuny.edu
Mon May 19 17:31:51 PDT 2014

Dear all,

I would like to mention two F#-major passages that I often hear as related, though I am almost sure the resemblances are coincidental.

(1) Verdi, Othello, Act 4, Desdemona's Willow Song. See the opening orchestral passage in particular.

(2) Brahms, Op. 118, No. 2 Intermezzo in A major. See the B section, just after the internal repeat signs.

Besides the melodic similarity, both passages make prominent use of the mediant chord to harmonize E#.

Mark Anson-Cartwright
Queens College and Graduate Center, CUNY