[Smt-talk] Core music theory courses for undergraduates

Richard Nelson rxn12 at cim.edu
Wed May 21 07:36:33 PDT 2014

We are a conservatory, so our theory curriculum fits our context and might
not work for everyone.  The following are required of all undergraduates:

*4 semesters of written harmony and analysis, keyboard harmony, solfege,
and aural training (2/3 of the last semester includes intro to 20th century
analysis).  All of the above are integrated.  There is a separate course
for secondary piano.  4 credits/semester; 5 meetings/week @ 50 minutes/day

*1 semester of form and analysis - 3 credits/semester; 3 meetings/week @ 50
minutes/day

*1 semester of 18th century counterpoint (all BM programs except one) - 3
credits/semester; 3 meetings/week @ 50 minutes/day

*1 elective (chosen from theory, composition, or eurhythmics)

Richard B. Nelson, PhD
Professor and Head of Music Theory
Cleveland Institute of Music