[Smt-talk] Boulez And World War II

CARSON FARLEY ccfarley at embarqmail.com
Thu May 22 16:47:16 PDT 2014

The term for what the Nazis didn't like specifically related to modern art was "Entartete Kunst" which means degenerate art. I'm not one to make claims not verifiable, but I have heard some rather unpleasant rumors about Stockhausen's youth regarding the Hitler Youth. I do not know if it is true . A composer from Los Angeles (whom I will not name) from that generation told me this a long time ago. I have enjoyed Stockhausen's music over the years, at least some of it. I was also rather shocked to dig up an anti Semitic/racial remark by Varese recently when doing some research that quite changed my image of who the man/composer was.

Carson Farley
Composer/cellist/theorist
University of Washington Alumnus