[Smt-talk] MISSING THEORY COMPONENT?

Victor grauer victorag at verizon.net
Fri May 23 15:09:14 PDT 2014

Stephen Jablonsky wrote:

"Since we are talking about ideal theory curricula I thought I would
mention one of my pet peeves. A survey of the leading music theory
textbooks reveals that they are missing a component I consider
significant––melody."

I have always considered the study of 16th century counterpoint (aka "species counterpoint") the ideal method for training in both melody writing and scoring. To simply ask students to produce "nice" or "good" melodies per se does not strike me as an effective pedagogical method. As there is nothing to work against, such methods are therefore, as I've complained in an earlier post, non-dialectical. When properly taught, taking students from the species exercises to the writing of simply two part, three part and four part motets, modeled on Palestrina and Lassus (Lassus especially), will make them aware of how melodies are formed in the context of an inter-relational tonal fabric that must be mastered to produce a meaningful result.

Victor Grauer
Pittsburgh, PA, USA