[Smt-talk] Palestrina and Jeppesen, was: MISSING THEORY COMPONENT?

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Sat May 24 23:10:36 PDT 2014

> I always found it ironic that Palestrina is the model for general
> principles of melody writing. This has been the case since
> Jeppesen, a scholar who admired Palestrina's tunes for their
> Wagnerian qualities, and who had no idea how counterpoint works.

Dear Prof. Schubert,

Your harsh verdict of Jeppesen ("no idea") would be more productive,
if you took the trouble of substantiating it.

> I would like to be a fly on the wall of the present-day
> counterpoint classrooms where this type of writing is taught—is it
> just recycled Jeppesen? It's for sure not any historical source: no
> treatise in the Renaissance addresses "good melody writing" (except
> for the most obvious errors). Palestrina, like everybody else,
> stole, modeled, recycled, and wrote brilliant tunes, but there was
> no theory of melody in his day.

I think Jeppesen was fully aware that there was no such theory in
Palestrina's day. But this certainly does not suffice to imply that
we should not utilize Palestrina's music – or Jeppesen's ideas about
it – in trying to approach principles of "good melody writing."

Best wishes,
Olli Väisälä
Sibelius Academy
University of the Arts, Helsinki