[Smt-talk] MISSING THEORY COMPONENT?

Devin Chaloux devin.chaloux at gmail.com
Sun May 25 22:56:56 PDT 2014

I find that these broad generalizations/exaggerations are what tend to
derail the cordial conversations we have been having over the past week.
"There are no melodies in contemporary textbooks" is an inflammatory post.
Of course this is not true! Some texts might not emphasize melody a lot.
But others do place some importance in melody. The Aldwell/Schachter was
mentioned. I'd like to also note that Miguel Roig-Francolí's text "Harmony
in Context" (2nd ed.) as another contemporary text that discusses melody in
some detail. I find it to be a nice balance between harmony, melody, and
rhythm...especially harmonic rhythm.

Its Chapter F (optional beginning chapter) is a fairly extensive section on
counterpoint with a fairly good introductory set of guidelines for writing
a good melody (aimed at students with little to no experience in doing so).
Roig-Francolí continues the discussion of melody into chapter 1 (The
Connection of Chords) with a subsection on "Melodic Style" (pp. 120-121)
including contour graphs visually demonstrating aspects of good melodies.
Chapters 11 and 12 (pp. 274-307) are devoted *exclusively* to melody
(Melodic Organization I: Phrase Structure and Melodic Organization II:
Thematic Development and Phrase Extension). In the accompanying workbook,
melodic exercises begin in chapter 1 and become increasingly more complex
into the Augmented Sixth Chords chapter (chapter 25). By this point, theory
teachers certainly could--and should--implement model compositions. .

I'd also like to offer my support for Mark Yeary's method too. I think that
melodic thinking will become more important as we aim to incorporate more
popular genres into our pedagogy.

As theorists--or musicians with an "abnormal" love for music theory ;-)
--we have the ability to extemporize on many of the subjects in the
textbooks. We, unfortunately, are not the only ones teaching theory classes
in collegiate music curricula. The seeming structured nature of these texts
aren't meant to constrain the way we engage music theory pedagogy. I've
never understood why this list has spent so much blood, sweat, and tears in
suggesting otherwise. :)

Best,

*Devin Chaloux*
Indiana University
Ph.D. in Music Theory (enrolled)
University of Cincinnati - College-Conservatory of Music
M.M. in Music Theory '12
University of Connecticut
B.M. in Music Theory '10