[Smt-talk] Palestrina and Jeppesen, was: MISSING THEORY COMPONENT?

Ildar Khannanov etudetableau at gmail.com
Tue May 27 09:02:06 PDT 2014

Dear Thomas and the List,

I have been trying to understand Peter's statements and, I think, I have
gotten his point. Peter seems to criticize our rules of good melody, which
we all subscribe to. These are the advizes concerning the use of
dissonance, the use of leaps, the gambitus that forms dissonant intervals,
the climaxes, linear coherence, etc. These rules were not introduced by
Palestrina, of course. The rules are the product of theorist' and teacher's
reflection, the result of three centuries of obesrvations on melody,
including Jeppersen, Taneyev, and, e.g., Thomas Benjamin. And it happens so
that voices in Palestrina's  polyphony express these rules most thoroughly,
although not without exceptions. So, yes, our rules are abstact and not
directly related to the historic sources. But does that make these rules
less important? It has been noted by many that the Renaissance rules of
melody, albeit most restrictive, apply to melody writing in Baroque and
Classico-Romantic styles (with all necessary additions). And even in the
20th century, say, in The Path to New Music, Webern writes about some
correlations between his music and the rules of strict counterpoint.
Therefore, there is no necessity for revising great teachings of Jeppersen
or, for example, Bellerman and earlier theorists of counterpoint. The idee
fixe of revising and rewriting the history of music theory is, probably,
the most annoying factor of contermporary theoretical tradition. From the
side it looks comic at best. Nothing to write home about.

Best wishes,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory, Johns Hopkins University
drkhannanov at gmail.com