[Smt-talk] Fiat & Cage

Charles J. Smith cjsmith at buffalo.edu
Fri Sep 26 14:41:42 PDT 2014

Has anyone seen the Fiat commercials (new to me, because I don't watch much commercial TV, but they might have been around for years...) that use music that sounds to me like snippets from Cage's Music for Prepared Piano. Certainly inspired by this music, if not note-for-note, timbre-for-timbre exactly what Cage wrote. (Which, now that I've put it on the screen seems like a very strange sentence indeed...I think I can hear him chuckling....)

Might be a good reason to grit your teeth and turn to one of those commercial channels, at least for a while. I think it was Sundance or IFC on which I encountered them. I wonder if the Cage estate is getting royalties? (or what his opinion was about the concept of royalties...)

CS

Charles J. Smith
Slee Chair of Music Theory & Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Music, 220 Baird Hall
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260
U.S.A.