[Smt-talk] FW: Gender Terminology in Music Theory

Michael Morse mwmorse at bell.net
Tue Apr 29 19:23:03 PDT 2014

May I trust that this repulsive and witless ad hominem will not see dissemination? Thank you.
MWM
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 22:17:31 -0400
Subject: Re: [Smt-talk] Gender Terminology in Music Theory
From: psheehan251 at gmail.com
To: mwmorse at bell.net
CC: smt-talk at lists.societymusictheory.org

Dear Readers (and Trolls):Of course "feminine cadence" and "masculine cadence" are examples of sexist usage.  Ascribe, describe, Ockham?  It's sexist.
In addition to Paul's utterly reasonable alternative (crusis, etc.), one could simply distinguish between "metrically emphasized" and "metrically non-emphasized" events.
All the best,Paul SheehanNassau Community CollegeGarden City, New York